12/16/2009

Reni Lane Interview

Reni Lane, rising pop singer and keyboardist for the LA-based band, The Like, has just come off a week’s worth of shows for CMJ ’09 and touring with Arctic Monkeys. She took some time out of her busy touring schedule for an interview dealing with life on the road, her new projects, and her yearly homage to Bowie.

Adem Cengiz: You're entering into the realm of new wave female pop stardom, getting on MTV’s First Ladies of Rock. I know no one wants to here that they’re pop, but your star is certainly rising, is the popularity helping your music?

Reni Lane: I have no problem with the word pop, I mean, The Beatles were pop. To me "pop" means having singable, melodic lines. Who doesn't like a great melody line they can chant to? Thus I am totally fine with the popularity being labeled a "pop" artist brings. However, I think what I have to offer as a pop artist is a bit different because of my lyrical content and alternative production.

AC: On tour with The Like and Arctic Monkeys sounds like a good line up. How is it playing keyboard with The Like?

RL: Playing keys with The Like on the Arctic Monkeys tour was a lot like summer camp. We met and started spending all our time together, so we became really fast friends and shared amazing experiences almost immediately, because they are amazing girls! On the first night I rehearsed with Tennessee and Z, the hills in Los Angeles were on fire, and after rehearsal we were drawn to the light of the fire like moths to the flame. We drove onto the highest hill we could find and then sat in silence looking out over what looked like Mordor. It was a crazily intimate moment between three people who just met and it says a lot about their character and personalities. I love them so much!

AC: Their style of play is certainly a little different since you and Laena came on board. Have the studio sessions leaned towards collaboration or is there a little conflict?

RL: There has not yet been any studio sessions together since their record was pretty much already done by the time Laena and I joined. When playing live with the girls I approach the parts same as I would my own: with an open mind, with willingness to modify my role in creating the sound, and by always striving for excellence! So I do mix it up a little and do my own thing regarding the exact notes I play, but it's all in the vein of what's come before to respect the record they've made - which is already amazing and fun and easy to get into.

AC: Are you still managing to remain a New Yorker while being on tour? I know touring can sometimes be consuming, what have you been doing in your off time?

RL: I always make sure to reserve some quiet alone time for myself while touring to keep centered and not get too caught up in any tour drama (not that there was much to begin with). Usually to do this I would read or watch documentaries and old movies. I watched "Les Parapluies de Cherbourg," "The Lovers," and read a lot of Choygam Trungpa during this tour. It kept me inspired and fresh and reminds you that your whole world isn't stuck on a bus. I think this helps with my performance every night. As far as remaining a New Yorker, a few episodes of "Mad Men" (thank you Z) and "Gossip Girl" was all the New York City I needed.

AC: Have you pulled the rest of the girls into the New York music scene? Or is SoCal the better spot to be this time of year?

RL: I don't necessarily think SoCal or NYC are better than the other, but are better for different things. In this case I think the mix of locations suits us. I'd like to imagine with the girls being based in Los Angeles and me being from New York that I add a bit of toughness and mystery into their sunny, sexy, and feminine Los Angeles looks - like who is that crazy orange-headed chick? Where did she come from? That's why the band is so unique - because each of us has our own star-powered personality and look that stands out.

AC: Are you thinking about taking a run at Britain with Arctic Monkeys in the future?

RL: Well, that would have to be totally up to the Arctic Monkeys! In the very least we had an amazing time and got along really really well and I'm happy to have been a part of it.

AC: If you could tour with any band other than these two, who would it be?

RL: I would love to tour with other really rocking bands like The Walkman or Kings of Leon. Although I'm labeled as a pop artist I think nothing beats the energy and excitement of a live rock show and I'm always tailoring my live experience towards that.

AC: I watched your "10 Random Things About Reni Lane" video. Did you come up with the concept, or how much was the director’s input? Either way the videos are great; short, snappy and funny.

RL: Why thank you so much! My dear friend and director Joe Turner Lin came up with the idea with the help of my other great friend and composer David Poe. Then, armed with a long long list of random things about me that I rattled off, Joe thought up hilarious scenes and together we picked the 10 that would best inform people about the many sides of Reni Lane. It was a collaboration but Joe definitely spearheaded the whole thing and worked the hardest to make it a reality.

AC: The trombone is pretty badass instrument to learn, especially when added with your other talents. I mean singing, guitar, keyboard, impressive. Have you always been a multi-instrument girl, or have there been some recent pick-ups?

RL: I've always loved picking up new instruments and this pretty much has never stopped. Guitar and then just before that singing, were the most recent additions. But as they say, 'jack of all trades, master of none,' so my goal is not to learn everything but to master what I already know. I still have a lot of work to do on becoming a better piano player even though it's the first thing I picked up.

AC: And wow, throwing shows in your dorm room at Columbia, how did the University like that?

RL: I'm sure Public Safety wasn't too happy when I started throwing live shows and listening parties in my dorm room for college musicians to share their music. I remember at the first party I threw freshman year - a sexy Santa Claus themed ditty - that the cops showed up before the party even started! But as long as it was all over before "quiet" hours everything was OK, and I was really good about respecting the neighbors and noise levels. Plus, all my neighbors ended up coming to the performances anyway, or the party would move into someone else's room once things started winding down.

AC: Since you’re a different version of David Bowie every year for Halloween, does that mean that for your show at Rouge Tomate the audience is going to get to see it, or will you dress up afterward?

RL: How I dress up for Rouge Tomate on Halloween is a safely guarded top-secret government operation. Under oath from President Obama I cannot comment on it to any extent!

AC: Is it difficult not to go back to the Ziggy Stardust every time? And have you ever been Jareth from Labyrinth?

RL: The David Bowie personalities I've already done are Aladdin Sane and The Thin White Duke. So I still have a long way to go, but I didn't even think of Jareth from Labyrinth until you mentioned it - thank you for that! It's definitely now added to the list.

AC: Thank you for the interview, and good luck with the music career.

Interview conducted and edited by Adem Cengiz.

No comments:

Post a Comment