12/16/2009

Eli Escobar Interview

Adem Cengiz: You've been in the DJ scene in NYC for a while now, gaining popularity and getting in with the right people. Who has helped you with your success the most?

Eli Escobar: I would say first and foremost being a NYC club kid... By the time I was ready to play out at clubs I already knew a lot of promoters and DJ's so it was a bit easier to get work than say if I had come from out of town and was starting from scratch. Also, by now a lot of people know Bobbito Garcia was very instrumental in helping me during my early days... putting me on the radio and getting me club gigs. I definitely will always feel indebted to him for all his help.

AC: You've got your hands in a lot of mixtapes and albums, which is a great thing to see, and you¹re a skillful producer. Do you enjoy working the studio more now, or is the live DJ set still your passion?

EE:
I think I have an equal love for both. And for me, they go hand in hand. The more exposure I get for my production, the less Top 40 gigs I have to do!

AC:
How has the international DJ scene been? Is it more fun to be traveling around, bringing your vibe to the hotspots of the world, or do you like being in one place for a while?

EE:
Well I do love being home in New York, but unfortunately night life here is not what it once was. So in terms of playing out, I'm far more excited to go to Toronto or Moscow or Helsinki than I am to play here. It's also great to meet people all over the world and see what's happening in their respective club scenes.

AC:
Have you always been, and always will be, a NY DJ?

EE: I suppose so. People say they can hear it in my music and in my DJing. There's definitely an old school NY style of playing that I think I still subscribe to. Light on the scratching... more about pacing and well rounded sets.

AC:
Your blog OutsideBroadcast, has it been really useful for your career?

EE: Sure. When I started it, I put it up so I could share some records with friends of mine. Suddenly I was getting readers from all over the world and before I knew it, traveling all over the world as well! I was still a bit of an internet novice at that point and was completely unprepared for the response it got.

AC:
And do you feel like its essential for a DJ to have an online voice in the industry today?

EE: Seems to be that way, huh? I go to record stores every week and buy new vinyl and cds but I know most people don't. Most DJs included. If a song doesn't get blogged, it seems most people don't know it exsists. I think it's different overseas where people tend to get music off of Beatport and Juno.

AC: Or is the popularity and knowledge of a DJ still determined by word of mouth?

EE: There's always a word of mouth thing when it comes to DJ's. We are a tight group and tend to put each other up on new music we're feeling.

AC: What mixes are you working on right now? With who?

EE:
I'm making a mix with my friend Amanda Blank... We did a lot of music that didn't end up on her album. And more since the album came out, so we're putting it out for free so people can hear what we've done. I'm also putting out a mix CD of a bunch of my best disco edits. The cd will come with a bonus disc of unmixed songs.

AC: What has been your favorite collaboration recently?

EE: I did a remix for Phoenix, and they are so good! They didn't put it out but nevertheless it was fun to break apart their song and have a go with it.

AC: The DJ'ing world, and the music world in general, has lost a lot of heroes recently. I read that you were close with DJ AM. How influential was he in your early career?

EE: I met Adam on myspace about 5 years ago. He messaged me saying how much he liked my work and we became close almost instantly. He was a guy who would not shy away from playing anything in a club. Took a lot of risks. I always respected that and I think a lot of DJ's are better off for having followed his example.

AC: Do you feel like there is a vacuum of leadership in the DJ and mixtape realm of music?

EE:
I don't really know... My biggest influences are old Chicago radio DJ's from the 80's so I think you're asking the wrong person! When I was young and starting out, I looked up to a few guys in particular, I'm sure it's that way now for the young kids. But there are so many different styles of DJing, music and different scenes. So I don't really know... Haha

AC: Who are the up and coming musicians/DJ's/producers that you would most like to work with?

EE: As a producer I'd like to work with some old singers like Alison Moyett or Boy George! That would be the dream...But as a remixer I always hope to get jobs remixing whoever's making great music at the moment.

AC: How often are you on East Village Radio? Do they have a pretty receptive audience for your music?

EE: I have a weekly show with Stretch Armstrong called the Delancey Music Service. We're on Monday nights at 10pm. The reception has been great. Online radio is exciting ‘cause you get listeners from all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment